Monday, June 3, 2019

Optimus Prime 25th Anniversary



AWESOME is the word to describe this Optimus Prime 25th anniversary issue. It is complete! It comes with the trailer, the buggy, the comics, Autobot insignia, and so much more. Being a 25th anniversary issue written in the box holds something special to this particular Transformer action figure.

You see, yours truly was born in the 80s and grew up in the crossing between 80s and 90s. Back then, cable TV is not yet the norm (in fact, some TVs are still black and white). Since cable is not yet widely available, we have to contend ourselves with the available cartoons shown by the local channels – and one of the cool ones is Transformers (aside from Voltes V and Daimos).

Seeing these transforming robots represent the eternal battle between good and evil will surely leave awe to the eyes of a young handsome child. I used to get angry at Starscream for being a weasel and a coward; to Soundwave for being a puppet; etc… in short, the Transformers did a good job in impressing its young viewers.

Money was scarce back then. I still remember crying when we cannot afford the cool Transformers toys displayed in the pegs of the toy store. Then there was this one time when dad jokingly said to get any toy that we want. Ever the gullible handsome child, I reached out to Optimus Prime first. But seeing its price tag, I opted for a cheaper one. My conscience kicked in – internally telling me to think of my folks and to get an inexpensive toy to help with the family’s finances in some way. Alas, dad then said to just get a toy but didn’t said anything about buying it. Good one Pops! I can say that now but it was heartbreaking back then.

Anyway, fast forward to 2009. Yours truly now earns enough money to buy anything I want (just look at the photo below when I tried to withdraw a full month’s income)


Around this time I saw the Optimus Prime toy. Reading the words “25th Anniversary” sure did brought back a lot of memories. So it has been 25 years huh – I’m that old (but still handsome though). Seriously, I quickly grabbed the toy and examined it. As I do so, a lot of memories and excitement are flowing. It was like being transported back to those cool awesome younger days.

And then I saw the price, a whopping 8K!!! Sure I can buy it now, but I was not brought up that way. I was instilled to value money. As a family man, I thought of children vaccinations, tuition, or just putting the money to good use like investment vehicles. So, with some sort of heavy heart, I gently place the toy again on the shelve. Now is not the time, I told myself (more like convince actually).  Farewell again Optimus – saying those words still hurt. Not as strong as before, but there is always a little bit of loneliness in letting go, even to a toy that is a huge part of your childhood.

So fast forward again to a few years, lo and behold, there it is!!! Some stocks left of the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime issue – and at discounted prices. Just like before, I grabbed one and this time, wouldn’t let go even if the box is not in pristine condition (guess that’s why it is at discount). Nonetheless, time to take this baby home. Besides the kids are grown up and the salary have increased from last time – so I don’t have any qualms whatsoever in acquiring this treasure this time around.

Anyway, sorry for a lengthy post. Enjoy the photos:






Related Links:

© 2019 to 20++ mixjikz.blogspot.com | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT LAW

No comments:

Post a Comment